Apple Cinnamon Congee (or Slow Cooker Oatmeal)
- Before going to bed, place 1 cup organic brown rice (or steel cut oats), 6-8 cups of water, a handful of dried apricots, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (or 1 cinnamon stick), and 1 diced apple into a Crockpot
- Cook on low overnight (up to 8 hours)
- Scoop out your desired amount for the morning, add in an ingredient or two listed below. Save the rest of the congee in the fridge and reheat a portion each morning for the rest of the week. If you prefer a smoother consistency, puree congee with a hand blender.
If you want a little extra flavor, top your morning portion with one or two of these:
- Butter (use the real stuff, not low-fat, margarine, or butter substitute)
- Coconut Oil
- Black Strap Molasses (good to build blood)
- Granola (without added sugar)
- Flax Oil or ground Chia Seeds
Congee will last in the fridge for 5-6 days. If you don’t get through all of it, put it into individual serving sized containers and freeze it. Then you can thaw it as you need it. Enjoy!
Copyright: marrakeshh / 123RF Stock Photo